Saturday, January 2, 2010

I read something today...

Yep... not only do I know HOW to read, but choose to read! LOL. But, seriously, I read something that Helen King posted today on the agilitypoodle list and it really hit home. It was just part of her post...

"There is more to training than just rewarding! There is NOT using
NRMs or slumping shoulders to show disappointment in the dog or oneself or
any other negativity in training. Lack of fun on the trainer's part will
suck the drive right out of a dog!!!"

If I am not having fun, I should not be training my dog. If I am just not that into it, I should not be doing it. He needs 100% from me and it's not fair to him if I just dole out the cookies. I have found myself doing this a few times lately and it really shows.


So there you have it... this will be my 2010 goal: I will make training as fun as I possibly can. It will not be something I do just because I have to get it done and check it off the list. It will be something that we can BOTH go out and enjoy.


Now let's just hope I don't drop the ball!
(note the spit line!! Eeeewwwwww!!!)

3 comments:

  1. Good stuff. I have worked on the body language a lot. I think for me it was after Tammy brought it to my attention - I didn't even know I was doing it. I certainly wasn't mad about any screw up (except maybe for a table), but when I screwed up, got lost or whatever, my body language told a big story to everyone, including my dogs. I think it goes beyond training/trialing. We try to read their body language and I guess it goes both ways. Is that spit frozen?????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phoenix is proud of his spit brother, slingin' slobber like a big dog. Good job!

    And good thoughts, Meme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost always give good advice. I just sometimes don't listen to it myself! G
    AWESOME Picture as usual Meme!! You are the BOMB!!!! All I can say about the spit, is it's lucky the toy doesn't have any metal parts!!

    ReplyDelete